Editing the Thriller - The Running Sequence

The second scene of the Thriller is the running sequence. The clips were easy to string together as each angle was filmed separately. Once the clips were placed in the necessary order it became a case of turning day into night. This is standard practise within the industry as most cameras produce grainy or pitch black footage when footage is shot at night, to fix this, most shoots take place during the day and then editing is used to turn it into night. This makes the sequence more enigmatic and make the characters seem in more danger. While these types of shots would be done inside, that is not a possibility for me, ergo, I am having to make do with what I have. Initially the shots looked like the image below and they were quite bright in comparison to how I wanted them but I am grateful that they were cloudier than the first shoot.

Thanks to a great effect on my software I can instantly change the colour curves to the Night Preset and this made a fantastic difference to the visual effect of the shoot. At this point, the shots are not dark enough to suggest the time of midnight, however, there is another effect that I can add to fix this up.
This effect is the Brightness and Contrast where I set the brightness to about -0.12 and increased the contrast centre to 1.00. This was changed slightly on the final two shots of the scene where the brightness was increased slightly to -0.6 so that everything was more easily visible in those shots. At this point, the sky is nowhere near dark enough but I am going to use Adobe After Effects to further darken the sky to make the scene look as if it takes place at midnight.
After finishing off the the initial film I will then focus upon the audio editing of the scene even though I only truly need to fix the tracking shots as the wind is clearly audible and the footsteps are lost within the noise. After that I shall go back and sort out the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment