Editing the Thriller - The Credits Sequence

Since all of the filming is completed it is now time for me to edit together my opening sequence. As the sequence is made up of three main segments, I felt it best to split my discussion into those three sections so that I would be able to explain each more effectively.

Chronologically, the first segment is the credits with the shots of the moon. These shots were taken during the production of the Preliminary Task as I knew I was going to need them and the skies were perfectly clear at night when I did the shoots. Initially the shots I had gotten were of a horrible quality or far too blurry.

This was fixed on a shoot the subsequent night after I had played around with the camera modes and found that changing the metering mode allowed me to get the moon exactly as I wanted it. The result was the footage that is now in my opening sequence.

To edit my Thriller I have chosen to use Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10 HD Platinum Production Suite because it is a highly capable piece of software that I am much more comfortable using than the overly complicated Adobe Premiere Pro on the College computers. As can be seen in the picture above, all of the footage is imported into the media bank in the corner and then it is a simple drag and drop process with easy cutting because of the S short cut on the keyboard. This allowed me to easily piece together the two clips that I used. Unfortunately, the two clips were not long enough to fill the necessary time frame and so I simply duplicated the clips and reversed them. While this may seem like a lazy technique that is easily noticed, when the shot is solely of the moon and there are credits appearing on screen it really is not noticed in the slightest.


The credits were placed in the same locations as I depicted in my animatic although I had to search for a decent free font that was much more effective than the previous one. To do this I made use of the font website DaFont and after a bit of searching I found the perfect font for the credits: Chonker. The slightly eroded typewriter design to the font adds the sense of tension within the credits but it is also incredibly easy to read and looks much more professional than some of the other fonts that I could have chosen. Overall, all of the credits were chosen to fit the same order that I have previously discovered on Wikipedia and I have utilised my peers' names to make the credits seem more realistic than if I put my name in for everything that I did on the project. Although almost all of the people in the credits have nothing to do with my project, barring myself, Sophie Kish, Martin Smith, Katie Hutchinson and James Cooper, if I did not do this then the credits would look incredibly unprofessional. As a result, the credits are incorrect but they look exactly like a real film's credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment