The Second Edit of the Preliminary Task

After deciding that the last clip in the film looked really out of place, I decided that I needed to do something to make it seem like two separate clips. This is when the idea of letterboxing the clip and using editing software to track across the two faces came along, and after messing around a bit with some of the other clips I finally got it to work.

It was at this point that it appeared that the lightning effect was no longer needed. The track across the faces conveyed the same thing that the lightning was meant to, the tension between the two characters, but it also made the entire film flow so much better so that extra shooting was not needed.

It was incredibly awkward when it came to finding free and royalty free music and sound effects as every single website that I came across wanted me to pay for the content, something that I was certainly not going to do for the preliminary task. After a while of searching, I remembered a channel on Youtube called Free Soundtrack and it was here that I was able to find a song that seemed to fit the task perfectly.

THE Song by Tw0 F4ce 66 of FearTheFrag included an electric sound effect and had a crescendo to it that seemed to play alongside our film perfectly. So, I downloaded it and only had to edit it slightly to fit into the 30 seconds.

In placing the music behind the entirety of the track, it took on a much more serious persona and it worked. This removed the need for silence in the first shot and actually made the film look and sound superior.

Coming into college today I decided to show the rest of my group what I had done and then we could decide what to do. Re-Edit it together as a group, or use the edit I have done and let them practise editing themselves and I can try and help them out even though I am not very adept at Adobe Premiere Pro. My expertise lie with Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Production Suite and it was on this program that I edited the film together.

After showing everybody in my group, it was decided that we would submit my edit as the final version and let everybody do their own edits to gain some skills of their own. As I realised that I was the only person with prior experience of editing, I thought this was probably the best course of action as it would allow me to edit at my own pace on software I knew and then help the others and we would still have time to spare.

In the next lesson we are going to see if any of the other groups do automatic dialogue replacement (ADR) for their clips. If everybody decides to, then it would probably be worthwhile for our group to do the post-synchronisation as well because it would mean practise in another area of film creation. If not, the lack of ADR will not be a problem as the music covers up most of the background noise but the noise that is audible does add slightly to the tension of the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment